Vaping and Exposure To Metals - Dr Farsalinos Sets The Record Straight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaping and Exposure To Metals - Dr Farsalinos Sets The Record Straight

Some of the latest sensationalist vaping news has seen newspapers claim that vapers are being exposed to toxic metals. As you would imagine, these vaping headlines are overblown and based on misinterpreted data.

A study was conducted and published in Environmental Health Perspectives. The study claimed that there could be potentially unsafe levels of arsenic, chromium, manganese, nickel and lead found in e-cigarettes.

The conclusion came as lead authors proposed that these metals were leaking from heated coils. According to the authors, repeated inhalation of these metals has been linked to a number of cancers and brain conditions. A leading scientist and public health expert has explained that the levels found in realistic vaping conditions are very low. Much lower than the limits set out by the FDA.

DR. KONSTANTINOS FARSALINOS’ RESPONSE

Dr Farsalinos is a leading research scientist and public health expert. He has conducted considerable amounts of research into e-cigarettes and has had his say on this study. Farsalinos explained that the levels of metals were well below the FDA limits as he stated:

For those asking questions about the latest study on metal emissions from e-cigarettes, here is my comment: The “significant amount” of metals the authors reported they found were measured in ug/kg. In fact they are so low that for some cases (chromium and lead) I calculated that you need to vape more than 100 ml per day in order to exceed the FDA limits for daily intake from inhalational medications.”
    He also went on to reiterate his ongoing argument that authors are misinterpreting their findings. He said:

The authors once again confuse themselves and everyone else by using environmental safety limits related to exposure with every single breath, and apply them to vaping. However, humans take more than 17,000 (thousand) breaths per day but only 400-600 puffs per day from an e-cigarette.
    We continue to see these irresponsible pieces of research circulate the vaping sector. The data found is being misinterpreted in nearly all cases. This does no favours for public health as it spreads unfair misinformation about vaping.

This undoubtedly contributes towards the inaccurate perception throughout the UK of vaping and its effects. Positive vaping campaigns from public health organisations are helping to fight against these headlines. We hope to see the well-conducted and reliable research on e-cigarettes shine through above the misinformed scare stories.

Nice post Rebecca, you beat me too it, it opens up for a friendly debate and what people think, all these metals that the guy says you put into you're system is a load of crap, and all it is doing is trying to put people of vaping, last week I had to go for a M.R.I. scan, does this mean I should of lit-up like a Christmas tree during the M.R.I. scan ? The guy is an arss

Comment

Thank you The_King. Though to be honest, Jonny from our Marketing Team wrote this one, I just post them on his behalf, often Rachel writes as well (I wouldn't want to take anyone glory as they are both great content writers!)

One of the many issues I have about 'research' of this nature is the fact that they don't provide a solid frame of reference, or dissect it for the average reader. For instance, how do the levels of these metals compare with those found in our water supply, which is deemed safe? We don't get a scathing article published in the Daily Mail about those. They use buzzwords such as arsenic to rile people up and scare them.

It's similar to the formaldehyde stories, where it was reported that trace elements had been found in the vapour. Though many of these articles failed to mention that these trace elements where only present when vaping at 200w consistently with a burnt coil. Which, as any vaper knows, is impossible to do. Dr Farsalinos exercised his right to reply in this instance as well and provided a long list of everyday products which contained more formaldehyde than e-cigs... Including bread and toothpaste!

Comment

https://vaping.com/blog/category/new...d8121-51894845

This is the forum site from which the info has come from, I think if you put this in you're favourites you will find it very interesting when new stuff comes out, just like the tax in Washington U.S.A or posts from other countries, I do find it a good read

Comment

Working...
        X